Hold onto your hats its time to get busy with concert season.
Please read the entire message. A lot of information is in each weekly email.
At the beginning of each school year we have a volunteer meeting to go over the rules and regulations of being a volunteer within CCPS. Each year we have anywhere from 100 – 150 people attend that meeting. Then the first football game rolls around and we have people super excited to help out even though its hotter than Hades and it is going to rain putting us in a delay. It’s not glamorous work, sometimes its tiring, sometimes its frustrating and sometimes we don’t get to do the jobs we want to do. As the season progresses the number of people willing to volunteer dwindles. Work, family & home obligations get in the way. We all however do find time to update social media and certainly don’t miss an episode of our favorite shows. At the end of the day you have to remember why we volunteer.
Your kids still need you and you need them! Just because marching season is over doesn’t mean the obligations as a band are over. We have a lot of events coming up that do require volunteers. Think of it simply as a school field trip. When your kids were in elementary school many of you wouldn’t miss any opportunity to spend this quality time with your child and their friends even if it meant rearranging your schedule or taking time off from work.
Lately our volunteer numbers have dwindled dramatically. We have about 30 parents who are wiling to come out and do whatever it takes to ensure things happen they way they are needed. THIS NOT JUST FOR THEIR STUDENT. ITS FOR ALL STUDENTS IN OUR AWESOME BAND. Several of these parents no longer have students in our bands but are still willing to give of their time to support YOUR STUDENTS.
We have 350 students in our band, we should not have to beg for as few as 5 parents on a regular basis to get events covered by volunteers. We have a potential pool of 700 parents/guardians/grandparents who I’m sure can find a couple hours in a month to help out at events. Yes you have to fill out a volunteer application with the school district in order to volunteer. REMEMBER THIS IS FOR THE SAFETY OF ALL STUDENTS!
Working non-varsity concession we do require a parent to work in 1 varsity football game concession. This is so you know where things are and how it operates when you work the other events. You have to remember that as a parent you are a volunteer, you don’t get paid for your time. When a student does work with you, they will get a credit for their time to help off set some of their expenses. If you can work an event but your student can’t just let us know and we will be happy to work with you.
Volunteer opportunities are always posted on the website. New opportunities are added often, please check it frequently and sign up as early as possible. That helps the chair people with planning. A little bit from everyone balances the work load, so every little bit helps.
If you are not volunteering due to rumors you may have heard from your student please contact the band director or myself to get reliable information. We have heard some crazy ones floating around.
Calling all volunteers. We have a lot of events coming up where we will need help with concessions, chaperoning, equipment etc. Please sign-up today. Here are the immediate needs for the coming 2 weeks.
Tuesday, January 16 – Girls basketball vs Riverdale – 1 parent/student team needed. Click here to sign up.
Friday, January 19 – Girls basketball vs Lely – 1 parent/student team needed. Click here to sign up.
Friday, January 19 – Boys soccer vs Community School – 2 parent/student teams needed. Click here to sign up.
Monday, January 22 – Boys Soccer vs Lely – 1 parent/student team needed. Click here to sign up.
Solo and Ensemble is just around the corner.
- We will need help chaperoning for flag & dance. – 7 more chaperon’s needed, move equipment for flag and dance – 1 person needed who can tow a trailer (Click here). Friday, Feb 2, 8AM – 2PM
- Move equipment to and from Lehigh Senior high school and people to babysit said equipment. Please click here to sign-up. Saturday, February 3, 8AM – until? It depends on our final schedule for the percussionist.
Jazz Band MPA – Monday, February 5 at Lehigh Senior high school. Click here to sign up.
What’s on tap for this week?
- Tuesday, January 16 – Solo & Ensemble rehearsals with accompanist 7:25AM – 9:25 AM, Wind Ensemble Rehearsal 2:30 – 4:30PM, Symphonic Winds Rehearsal 5PM – 7PM, Flag (Teal) & Dance Rehearsal, 6PM – 8:15PM
- Thursday, January 18 – CCPS Honor Band Rehearsal Flag 6 – 9PM, (Silver) Flag & Dance Rehearsal, 6PM – 8:15PM
- Friday, January 19 – CCPS Honor Band Rehearsal 9AM – 4PM
- Saturday, January 20 – CCPS Honor Band Concert 3PM – 4:30PM, Jazz Band 1 Performance 6 – 9PM
San Antonio Trip:
At this point we have way to many delinquent accounts. Each person was emailed directly regarding delinquent accounts. If you still have questions about your account please email Mr. Carney directly firstname.lastname@example.org. We need to wrap this up. Chaperon’s please have all payments completed by February 1.
Solo & Ensemble:
This year each wind and percussion students will be responsible for providing their own transportation to and from this event. The only exception is for Flag & Dance who will be performing during the school day. We will provide busing for them on Friday, February 2. Please plan accordingly. Students will receive their performance time approximately 2 weeks prior to the event.
Fundraising is a very important part of our band. With out our fundraisers we could not do all of the things we do with our band. Fund raised money helps to cover expenses for sectional instructors including auxiliary, bus transportation, streamer cannons, most importantly instruments your students use on a daily basis and many other things. With out fundraising we would not have enough instruments for all students who require the use of school owned instruments etc.
Student Share fundraisers to date:
- Banner Sales – for each stadium banner sold your student can earn $100, this fundraiser runs all year. Come April the chair person will reach out to business who purchased this year on your behalf to see about a renewal.
- Coupon Books – After you sold 5 books students then earned $5 for every book sold beyond 5.
- Sharkettes – Each student who signed up a Sharkette earned $25 to their student account
- Non-varsity football concession – Students earn $25 credit per game worked. (all year event)
General Fund fundraisers to date:
- Krispy Kreme donuts sales
- Homecoming dance shoe check
- Shoe Drive
Keep sending in those shoes. I counted and bagged 10 bags of shoes this past week. That’s a great start. We need to keep the momentum and those shoes coming in. Our goal is 300 bags. If each student collects 25 pairs of shoes we exceed that goal. We will collect shoes until February 28th.
Please email me directly at email@example.com if you can assist with counting and bagging or if you have any questions. I’m still looking for some student volunteers to help with this. I only have 2 to date.
Parents I’ll need help bagging shoes on a weekly basis. This shouldn’t take more than an hour of time if we have approximately 4 people each week. I’m still looking for more people.
Concert Season Attire:
For concert season all students are required to dress in concert attire.
- Girls wear the long dress that was ordered for them during uniform fitting. Remember these need to be hemmed. Please be sure to get this taken care of. If your student has not yet picked up their concert dress please have them see Mr. McGuire or Mr. Goff.
- Guys wear tuxes. Here are a few tips regarding this. Get the pants hemmed long because 90% of the kids will be sitting plus guys grow a lot during their high school years. Get the jacket sleeves longer than you would for normal wear if you have to raise your arms to hold an instrument and get your white shirt sleeves a little longer for the same reason. You can wear a black tie and cummerbund or black tie and black vest. MUST BE ALL BLACK. Students can wear their marching shoes with their tux since they are all black. The TUXXMAN at Gulf Coast town center sells a 100% washable tux (pants, shirt, jacket, tie cummerbund, cuff links) for $139.99.
I hope you all have an awesome week.
GCHS Band Aid Club